Black Scholars Community
The Black Scholars Community is an open community located on the eleventh floor of Joe West Hall, designed to provide leadership, guidance, mentorship, community, and a space for those who are a part of or in support of the Black Community at San Jose State University (SJSU). The community promotes cross-cultural understanding and dialogue, encourages community support, and facilitates the introduction of key campus resources in order to support student success at SJSU. Through a variety of programs and activities, the Black Scholars Community specifically focuses on academic success, personal growth, networking, and professional development.
- Residents will explore Black identity development and gain a better understanding of their own identity.
- Residents will gain knowledge about Black issues and develop skills to assist in creating a socially just campus and world.
- Resident will learn about campus resources (both personal and academic), as well as how to utilize them.
- Residents will build strong peer relationships and support systems within the Black Scholars Community, San Jose State University, and the San Jose community.
Programs and Events
- Attend programs on issues such as: identity development, legal issues, academic support services, and advocacy
- Interact with SJSU Faculty and Staff through socials, workshops, student mentoring, and presentations.
- Exposure to campus and community resources and events.
- Opportunity to be involved in the planning and implementation of campus wide programs.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Students must apply to Mosaic Cross Cultural Center and University Housing Services