Rainbow Village is a community located on the twelfth floor of Joe West Hall, geared to provide a specifically LGBTQIA (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, and Ally) friendly atmosphere in which students can live and interact. The community promotes understanding about sexual orientation, gender identity and intersections with other identities to enhance students' leadership skills and multicultural awareness. Rainbow Village provides an opportunity for students to connect with student groups and campus resources, such as the PRIDE Center, the Gender Equity Center and the MOSAIC Cross Cultural Center. Through a variety of programs and activities, Rainbow Village offers a dynamic experience for students wishing to build a stronger support and community system.
- Residents will gain a better understanding of their sexual orientation and gender identity
- Residents will gain knowledge about LGBTQ+ issues and resources, as well as how to utilize them.
- Residents will build strong peer relationships and support systems within Rainbow Village, San Jose State University, and the San Jose community.
Programs and Events
- Receive exposure to campus and community resources and events, such as the San Jose State University PRIDE Center, the LGBTQ Youth Space, San Jose Billy DeFrank Center, and more
- Attend programs on LGBTQ+ issues, such as identity development, legal issues, support services, advocacy
- Participate actively in Silicon Valley Pride, and other educational/awareness activities
- Have the opportunity to be involved in the planning and implementation of campus wide programs such as National Coming Out Day, Trans Week, and PRIDE month (April).
- Interact with SJSU Faculty and Staff through socials, workshops, and presentations in Rainbow Village
- Enroll in LGBT Studies
Placement priority will be given to students who are passionate about living in a community that affirms all identities and expressions. Gender inclusive housing is a value that is built into the structure of Rainbow Village and students are encouraged to make requests as needed on their housing applications.