Employment - Student Job Opportunities
Student Job Opportunities
University Housing Services has a variety of student assistant positions in all of the operational areas within the department. When positions are available, they are posted at SJSU Career Center. You might also find informational fliers throughout the residence halls.
When We Have Vacancies in the Department, Positions Are Posted on Several Sites:
2021-2022 Student Staff Recruitment
UHS is beginning its recruitment process for the 2021-2022 academic year. The recruitment cycle begins in the Fall for applications and all interviews/decisions are made in the Spring. Below is an outline of the Resident Advisor (RA) and Office Assistant (OA) roles.
Considerations for the RA position:
- RAs are an “appointed” student leadership position (non-employment role). No monetary compensation is provided with the position as RAs are offered room and board with their appointment.
- What are we looking for in a RA?
Estimated 16 hour work week (may vary due to departmental processes/initiatives)
Resident engagement strategies based on Residential Curriculum
Partnership with UHS Residential Life services
Role model ethical decision making by following all UHS protocol
Participate in large department/campus initiatives
Demonstrating strong administrative skills
See the position description here for more information about the role: DRAFT: 2021-2022 RA Position Description
Considerations for the OA position:
- OAs are “employed” student assistants. All students assistants within residential life work hourly ($15.25 per hour) to fulfill the responsibilities of their role, up to 20 hours a week during the academic year (eligible to work up 40 hours per week during breaks/holidays).
- What are we looking for in an OA?
Provide and promote quality customer service for all residents and guests.
Monitor all persons entering/exiting the residential community.
Conduct lockout services
Be committed and prepared to get assigned shifts during Move-In/Move Out times and overnights.
Help develop, organize, and implement desk theme, decorations and community engagement events and programs for the OA Team.
See the position description here for more information about the role: POSITION DESCRIPTION
Mandatory Information Session
Click link here to register for your Info Session to attend: LINKTree
Requirements to apply:
Step 1: A full time SJSU student for the entire 2021-2022 academic year
- Undergraduate Status: Minimum of 12 credits (no more than 18 credits per semester during appointment)
- Graduate Status: Minimum 6 credits (no more than 9 credits per semester during appointment)
Step 2: Have a GPA: 2.5 or above (cumulative and semester) for the 2020-2021 academic year
- Grade checks will be conduct for Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 semesters
Step 3: Be in good conduct standing with Housing & SJSU
- You are not on Housing Probation or Disciplinary Probation with Student Conduct and Ethical Decision.
Step 4: Attend at least one of the following information session (Click to register above):
- Monday, November 9th @ 2pm
- Friday, November 13th @ 3pm
- Tuesday, November 17th @ 6:30pm
- Thursday, November 19th @ 12:30pm
- Monday, November 30th @ 6:30pm
Step 5: Application: Dec. 2, 2020 at 12pm-Jan. 6, 2021 at 11:59pm
- Via SJSU Handshake (Must have Handshake account to apply)
- NO ESSAY, NO COVER LETTER, NO RESUME NEEDED!